Blood Donation Camps: Annually two blood donation camps are held in collaboration with The Rotary TTK Blood Bank at the Central campus and about 360 students from the School of Business donated blood and these were later donated to Govt Hospitals in Bangalore.
Medical Camps for Govt. Primary School Children at Chikkahagade Village
Medical Camps for School Children: General medical and Dental check up camps is held regularly at the nearby Govt school and nearly 250 children from the school and nearby villages underwent check up's at the camps. A team of doctors from Indira Gandhi Institute of Child Health offered voluntary services. Free medicines were sponsored by the University were distributed at the camp.
Annually, the University distributed 240 books, 40 uniforms to the children at the Chikkahagade Govt Primary School having classes upto 5th std. More interventions have been planned in terms of improving infrastructure and sanitation facilities for boys and girls at the school. On Republic Day and Independence day, sweets are distributed to the school children.
Community Development (Rural Infrastructure)
The University has upgraded the road and drainage system at the nearby Janata Colony and concrete roads have been paved for the village and sanitation problem has been addressed by providing drainage system.
Donations in the form of cash and kind were disbursed for construction of temple and promoting local festivals and events in the nearby villages as and when the appeal came from the villagers. The University also provided granites, paints and other material for temple renovation and construction.
Partnerships with NGO's
Samarthanam Trust for the Disabled:
Samarthanam is providing education, food and shelter to 200 visually impaired, physically challenged and economically weaker section of society and 60% of them are girl children and the rest 40% are boys. Apart from this 453 children are provided integrated education program who are being trained by the 22 teachers after the regular school hours. Students raised funds by contributing their own as well as through raffles and sponsorships, interacting with 200 visually impaired students, distribution of food and gifts and the feedback from the students was quite satisfying.
About 220 students participated in the "Great Walk a thon" to commemorate the "International Day for the Disabled" with Samarthanam.
Little Sisters of the Poor - A Home for Senior Citizens:
Little Sisters of the Poor is a non-profit organization managing the Home for Aged at Bangalore, India. This is a charitable institution that receive the aged, 65 years of age and above, men and women, irrespective of caste, creed or religion, who are really in need of home, care and concern.
A Home for Senior Citizens20 students from the University on November 29, 2010 volunteered at the home for the elderly and distributed food and cold drinks and also helped in washing the plates and glasses of the inmates. Students interacted and also continued to spend some moments of joy with the elderly. The students on their own raised funds for the home and donated them to the organisation. As an extension to this programme, the students continued their visits to the Little Sisters of the Poor as volunteers and took part in the centre's activities.
Akshayapatra Foundation: Akshaya Patra reaches out to 1,298,049 children in 18 locations across 8 states of India, providing them with freshly cooked meal on all school days. Currently, they are implementing the mid-day meal program in 8,258 schools of the country, with plans to increase that number to hundreds more. In Karnataka, the foundation reaches out to 537,671 children in 2,439 schools. The present outreach in Karnataka is at Bangalore, Mysore, Mangalore, Hubli – Dharwad and Bellary.
For the past few years, the University has been donating to Akshayapatra Foundation, a mid day meal programme at Bangalore for school children.
Walkathon by Students (Environment Awareness)
Rural Visit to a Village
Students Participated: Aug 2009-11 Batch
The purpose of the visit is to understand the community around us, learn the culture that exists, understand the consumer behavior as a marketer and extend service by motivating them to take up formal education. This visit is arranged for marketing specialization students during their Rural Marketing course.